Monday, June 5, 2017

Being the Jobseeker

(Picture: https://blog-content.glassdoor.com/app/uploads/sites/13/hire-me-sign.jpg)

So here I am on the wagon with this job seeking thing. But this is for a different stage of my life. you see I already have a job and live in a country town. But Now I want to relocate to another area and this is where I want that job. And no offense, There are a few things I do not like about employers.

Stating the Obvious
So I Sit here at my computer screen and I know where to start. There are three to four usual websites I go to that may help....as you do. I tend to spend about one or two hours looking and in the process of reading each job advertisement I outline all my strengths and think "Oh yes I have this, Oh yes I have that too, yes maybe this job does fit my skills and qualifications. I think I can do this." Now we all know that when you apply for a job it is essential to put a resume with an epic covering letter so you sit there an tailor that covering letter to highlight the job add how your skills fit this criteria. I am probably there for a good 10 to 15mins per application I do trying to make this happen without promises....as you do.

What I dislike:
I cant stand it when you apply for a job and employers don't ever try to make the time to call you or e-mail you back to tell you that you were not successful for the position and why (And sometimes it is the same for going for job interviews). I feel that it is rude and unfair and just plain inconsiderate. What are us Jobseekers doing wrong? why don't we qualify for your position? How can we fix this? How can we be better at this? You can't expect us to wait only to just assume that there is a high chance that it wasn't successful. We had the courtesy to give up our time to show you we are keen to join your company and apply for your job, Have the common courtesy to call us back!

Not only this I think that there should be more search options on some of these Jobsearch websites. 
What about something specific? what about a proper "sort by date" option that is easy to find on a page? There is No guarantee that the job you want to apply for is still available in two weeks time. On a number of occasions I have rung  up about a job position I was interested in and it was already filled. This job was posted 16 days ago and it is Still advertised. Why can't these website regulate it so that advertisements older than 7 - 10 days get automatically deleted.

We give up so much of our spare time cold canvasing, internet searching, keeping an eye out in newspapers etc that we feel tired. we have no control of what the employer wants to do after we go for any available position. We need money. But we also need and want to get out there and have a chance.  I believe that there is no chance if no chances are given. We put our offers on the table so we can help people. I know that this post seems personal. I know that it is just business. But I reckon employers also need to properly consider the emotions of people who take the time to make job applications. Like other things in life this Jobseeking task isn't easy and what is worse is that people with government payments get pressure to obey the rules or otherwise have their benefit payments cut off. When I move/relocate to my new location they will cut off my payments because I would need to quit my job (I live in Australia, we have Centerlink).  I'll probably suffer like the rest of them. But at least you know Jobseekers like me are actually doing something while the rich get richer. 

I might have more to add to this blog so stay tuned.



2 comments:

  1. Absolutely agree with this. Way back employers did contact all applicants. Now it's a bit like you're a number....not a real person with real feelings. I find that very disheartening. But every now and then you come across an employer that sees you as a person and your potential. You have to keep on trying. It might take time and it might be hard but it's worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah that's it! Not even try to think of the emotional side sometimes. it hurts. but at least you're doing something.

      Delete

Foxtel. Independant blog

IQ 3 picture: https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/03/foxtel-iq3-when-to-buy-it-and-when-to-avoid-it/ Wheelie Bin Picture : http://...